SGA appoints 6th VP to fill out executive board

Ava Moore

Communications student Maggie Brown is the Student Government Association’s new vice president of outreach.

Ava Moore, Reporter

The Student Government Association appointed a 33-year-old communications student as its vice president of outreach on Friday.

Maggie Brown, a first-year student here, served as secretary of the Baltimore County Community College Student Government Association in 2015.

She said she hopes to include more students in club activities and campus events.

“I plan on forming as many partnerships as I can throughout the semester … between clubs,” Brown said, adding she will “try to get [students] to join clubs and things like that. I want to spread a lot of information [that my classmates] may not know.”

When the SGA held a campus-wide election of officers, no candidates for the vice president of outreach or president positions came forward. The student body elected five other SGA vice presidents at that time.

Brown is taking 13 credits at AACC this semester while working as a full-time medical technician at the University of Baltimore Medical Center.

“If anything, my experience from being in different places and around different people all the time [would help me] … help other people navigate their way through things,” Brown said.

SGA President Ben Nussbaumer, a third-year student, called Brown “really nice” and said her job will involve working with campus organizations and student clubs to plan events and contact guest speakers.