Vice president for learning resigns

Campus Current archive

Vice President for Learning Mike Gavin is reportedly a candidate for a president or provost position at another college.

Jazsmine Hill, Diversity Editor

AACC’s vice president for learning announced on Tuesday he will leave the college this summer.

In an email to faculty, AACC President Dawn Lindsay said other colleges are recruiting Gavin for top positions like provost or president. “His candidacy is at the point where it may become public,” she said.

Lindsay called Gavin “a champion for our strategic plan. [He] worked hard to close equity gaps and has been instrumental in positioning the college as a local and national leader.” 

During his time at the college, “We have done some excellent work here, from increasing completion of students in an equitable fashion … to creating hundreds of transfer agreements, to erecting two new buildings for our students, faculty [and] staff,” Gavin said in an email.

Gavin said he is “saddened” that he won’t be able to say good-bye to colleagues and students in person because the campus is closed.

“Those relationships will be what I will miss the most,” he said.

Lindsay said the college will begin a national search for Gavin’s position “soon.”

Gavin is one of three AACC vice presidents who report directly to Lindsay.