Prized organist to play at AACC

Brad Dress, Associate Editor

One of the most celebrated organists in the world will play with the AACC Symphony Orchestra & Concert Choir & Chamber Singers on April 21 and 23.

Concert organist Felix Hell, a native of Germany, tours the world with his digital touring organ instrument—a unique, transportable organ. Organs are typically built into churches and other establishments, and are not removed.

Hell plays approximately 40 performances a year at churches, universities and concert halls in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. His most recent tour began March 25.

Orchestra Conductor Anna Binneweg invited him to play with AACC. Hell told Campus Current he is “more than thrilled to join the orchestra.”

The group will play “Concerto for Organ, Timpani and Strings” by Francis Poulenc, a popular French pianist in the 20th century.

The piece calls for a solo organ, played by Hell. The AACC Symphony Orchestra will play along with percussion instruments and a string orchestra. The choir will also perform.

“This is a really rare occasion,” Hell said about the concert. “The instrument that I am bringing is capable of filling a 2,000-seat auditorium with a breathtaking sound. … That is a sound that you cannot reproduce with any other instrument.”

Hell said the concert will be “almost a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Hell, 31, has played the organ professionally since he was 9.