AACC writing center trains students on thesis statements

Lauryn Simms

English professor and writing tutor director Jessica Rabin taught the process of writing a thesis statement.

Lauryn Simms, Reporter

The AACC writing center helped students better understand thesis statements and topic sentences in their first workshop on the topic Thursday.

English professor and writing tutor director Jessica Rabin led the workshop by helping the students understand what she called the hardest and most time consuming part of writing an essay; the thesis.

“Your thesis statement will be the longest you will ever spend writing one sentence and that is so worthwhile,” Rabin said.

Marsha Boehm, a returning student completing an elementary education degree, said she found the workshop helpful.

“I’ve never taken a specific workshop like this that’s helped me while I write a research paper.  I think the things that I have learned will help me,” Boehm said.

First-year architecture student Joshua Sorto’s professor recommended the workshop.

“At first I did not know how to get my ideas together, but this really pointed out how it should go,” Sorto said.

Workshops on multiple different essay writing topics meet every Wednesday and Thursday at 2 p.m. in HUM 117, also on Saturdays at 8 p.m. online.

Sorto and Boehm both said that they will return to more workshops.