Honor society offers scholarships to qualified students

Phi+Theta+Kappa+Honor+Society+held+an+information+session+on+Sept.+18+for+prospective+members.+

Photo courtesy of Bri Barone

Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society held an information session on Sept. 18 for prospective members.

Jacob Dear, Reporter

Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society held an information session this Wednesday to explain key facts regarding the qualifications, benefits, and nature of the organization.

The organization offers scholarships to members who meet the eligibility requirement. Students need a minimum GPA of 3.5 and to have completed 15 credits.

“A lot of people want to know about the scholarships that are available and just generally how they are going to benefit [them],” Elizabeth Wulbrecht, the society’s adviser, said. “So that’s really what the information sessions [are] all about.”

“I . . . want students to know . . . that membership is what you make of it. You can join just to put it in your resume, but it will be more meaningful if you actually choose to participate,” Wulbrecht added.

Provisional memberships exist for students with less than fifteen credits completed or a lower GPA, but complete benefits only come from full membership.

“I finally got the chance to join because my schedule was clear this year,” second-year oceanography student Adrianna Russell said.