Past high school coach to lead Golf this spring

Christina+Browning

First-year golfer Alex Colonna practices with AACC Men’s Golf, which former Chesa-peake High School varsity coach Kevin Lyons will lead this season. All but one player this season is new to the team.

Luke Gabel, Reporter

The former leader of Chesapeake High School’s varsity golf team is AACC Golf’s new head coach.

Kevin Lyons, who coached at Chesapeake for four years, replaced Joel Thorne, who left AACC  at the end of last year’s season after seven years.

Five student golfers also left the team after it earned first place at the National Junior College Athletic Association’s Division III Region Championships last year.

Only second-year player Michael Weller returned from last year’s team to start this season.

Weller said he hopes to continue the team’s success this spring. “I’m the only returning starter this year, so I hope I can help my new teammates adapt to a new style of team play,” Weller said.

At the 2018 NJCAA Division III Region Championship tournament in Apollo, Pennsylvania, Weller shot a 16-over score of 87 on Day 1 and fired a 7-over 78 the following day to help the team to victory.

Lyons said inexperience could affect the team. Golf is “not like a football team, where all players play as a whole on the field,” he said. “Our golfers have the freedom to play their own game to contribute to the team score.”

Still, Lyons added, “While there are a few new players, they are very solid, so I do feel good about our chances.”

Lyons said he hopes to repeat last year’s success this season.

“The goal is to do what they did last year,” Lyons said. “Win regionals and send a team to the national tournament. That’s pretty much our first-line goal.”

He added, “There is a little bit of pressure, and I’m definitely excited for this opportunity.”

Weller said although the Riverhawks ranked first at regionals, he was still pleased with the team’s 10th-place finish at nationals.

Weller, who will attend the University of Maryland next semester for business management, said he hopes the team will move up into the Top 5 this year.

“I played three seasons on the varsity golf team at South River High School,” Weller said. “Playing for a college team is a lot different compared to high school, but I had the chance to learn a lot from my teammates last year. I hope that’s an opportunity I can provide to the new players this year.”

AACC Golf is practicing this season at Crofton Country Club, The Golf Club at South River and the Severna Park Golf Center.

This season’s first match was on March 28 at The Golf Club at South River.