Business and law dept. puts on 1st conference

Back to Article
Back to Article

AACC’s School of Business and Law will hold its first “Contemporary Issues” conference this semester.

Nikko Maresca

Nikko Maresca

Nikko Maresca

Arianna Beers, Reporter

The AACC School of Business and Law is hosting a conference this month to teach students about diversity, technology, global marketing, emergency preparedness and economics.

Students can attend the Contemporary Issues in Business and Law conference for $55 on Nov. 16.

Local industry leaders will teach students how to build an inclusive workplace, protect themselves from internet hackers, intern internationally, create an emergency preparedness plan and understand economics.

Students also will hear from speaker Julie Mussog, president and CEO of Anne Arundel Economic Development Corp.

Karen Cook, the dean of the School of Business and Law, said her vision for the conference is to create an educational experience for local, industrial and legal leaders to come together and learn more about contemporary business-related issues.

Cook said she hopes to make the conference a reoccurring event at AACC because it will offer new perspectives on business and law each year.

“Things change and grow,” Cook said. “Especially in the legal field, things are changing constantly.”

“The main point of the conference is for people who run businesses in the state of Maryland to talk about the various different components of running a business,” said legal studies professor Mary Bachkosky, who will encourage her students to attend.

“I think it’s helpful for students to attend, so they can see the direct application of business law in the business world,” Bachkosky said. “While [students] get theory and practical knowledge in their classes, this opportunity illuminates that for them.”

To register for the conference, visit www.aacc.edu/businesslaw.