AACC art students show off talent

Photo by Daniel Salomon

Student art—like this book sleeve by Brent Bobo—is on display in a juried show in the Cade Gallery until May 24.

Ashley Sokolowski, Reporter

This year’s Juried Student Art Show at the Cade Center for Fine Arts Gallery features around 70 student art works in all media, from ceramics to digital art.

Heather Harvey, an art professor from Washington College in Chestertown, juried the show and spoke at the reception on May 2.

Harvey also selected the winners of the Purchase Prize, whose work the college bought for its collection.

“It is a long process because it is a lot of works,” Harvey said of the judging process. “It starts very intuitive at first … it gets harder as the day goes on because you have to start thinking about what [your] vision is and what [you are] trying to say. … So, then I had to get more specific and look closer at each work.”

Hannah Tenner, a second-year media production student, had two photographs in the show: “Sex Sells: A Fruit Ad” and “Sex Sells: A Fruit Ad (2)”

“[They] were for my studio photography class, and I got an advertising vibe from it, so that’s what I was going for,” Tenner said. “It was really exciting … to find out that both of the things I put in were accepted.” 

“I was honored [and] was not expecting it at all, but it is a great feeling,” said Kat Pfeiffer, a studio art student whose piece “Abi” won a Purchase Prize. “There is a lot of really strong art in here, and I am just so happy my art will be in the collection and that people can enjoy it at this school for a long time.” 

The show opened April 25 and will run until May 24.

Photo by Daniel Salomon
Chris Lins, a second-year transfer studies student, poses with two self portraits.

Photo by Daniel Salomon
Hannah Tenner, a second-year media production student, kneels in front of her photographs, “Sex Sells: A Fruit Ad” parts one (right) and two.

Photo by Daniel Salomon
Kat Pfeiffer, a second year art student, stands in front of her mixed-media portraits, “Abi” (left) and “Angela (1).” AACC purchased “Abi” for the college’s art collection.