Broken water main briefly closes road, Schwartz building

A section of Ring Road—highlighted here in red—was closed for about five hours today.

Roxanne Ready and Daniel Salomon

A section of Ring Road was closed for about five hours today while workers repaired a broken water main.

The section of road between College Drive and Main Access was off-limits to students from about 7:20 a.m. to about 12:30 p.m.

“It added like five minutes to my drive,” Nick Moutsos, a first-year transfer studies student, said.

Officials also turned off water to the Schwartz building during repairs. Maury Chaput, the executive director of administrative services, said professors held classes in nearby buildings because the bathrooms in Schwartz had no running water.

James Miller, one of the construction workers who repaired the break, said a 6-inch pipe cracked five feet underground. The repair crew installed a clamp to fix it, he said.

According to Larry Gregory, the directory of facilities maintenance and operations, similar breaks happen about once a year, but this one took less time than usual to fix.

The campus alert system, which students can opt-into from the resources tab of the main AACC website, notified students by text or email. The college also posted updates on the AACC website’s home page and on its official Facebook and Twitter accounts.