Men’s Bball scores low throughout fall season

Photo by Roxanne Ready

First-year forward Jacoby Rojas passes the ball to a teammate in a game against Community College of Baltimore County Dundalk.

Vincent Moreland, Sports Editor

AACC Men’s Basketball finished the season in February with a record of 2-21.

They lost their first five games, won their next two, and lost 16 in a row to finish the season. Last year, the team was 6-15.

With only two returning players, coach Joe Snowden had a handful of young athletes this season.

“We lost games due to the team being young and not experienced in league play, but they learned a great deal and we’re looking forward for next year,” Snowden said.

Specifically, the coach said, “The team could have worked on team play and team defense. We played very hard every game but needed to play harder on the defensive end. … We took a long period to come back together after our early victories against good teams.”

Snowden said he intends to coach until he is “old and gray.”

“I will recruit my butt off like I do every year,” Snowden said. “If I can get eight more players for next year that can do college work and enjoy the college way, yes our bench will be deeper and better.”

Guard Terry Kenner put up good numbers this year.

Kenner started every game and averaged 18 points, 5.3 rebounds and 3.5 assists. He made 46.7 percent of his shots, including 38.5 percent of them from the three-point line. Kenner also made 75.6 percent of his free throws.

“I think I did good,” Kenner said. “The team was good but we just have to play harder and compete. From the first game to the last game we grew together. I’ll be back next year.”

Kenner said he saw himself as a leader this year, and his main goal for next year is to be more of a leader with the departures of second-year students Miles Dobson and Damir Mahmutagic.

“I’m looking forward to playing next year,” Kenner said. “I’m grateful that I can play basketball. I want to increase the win total next year. We just have to move forward from this.”

Guard Mahmutagic put up stellar numbers as well this year. He averaged 9.4 points, 2.6 rebounds and 2.6 assists. Mahmutagic was a captain this year.

“As a whole, we needed to play 40 minutes instead of 35,” Mahmutagic said. “The crunch time is the last five minutes. That’s where things get difficult and that’s when we have to stay together the most out of the entire game. That’s where we lacked.”
Mahmutagic said he and his former teammates have some good memories from the season, including a moment with Snowden.

“The funniest moment was when coach Joe fell on the floor trying to sit in his seat during a game,” Mahmutagic said.
“I thought he had a heart attack or something. He started laughing. We had plenty of good road trips, and we got together and told jokes.”

Mahmutagic’s ideal goal is to play basketball at a hitorically black college.
“I have some improvements to make during the offseason,” Mahmutagic said. “I have a lot of work to do.”