Student reporter starts campus news podcast

Campus Current digital editor Daniel Salomon interviews student trustee Nyia Curtis for the new podcast, “Riverhawk Report.” Photo by Sarah Noble

Sarah Noble, Social Media Manager

Campus Current will air its first podcast, the “Riverhawk Report,” on Feb. 8.

Daniel Salomon, a first-year transfer studies student and host of the new “Riverhawk Report,” said the monthly podcast will feature student newsmakers and campus news. His first podcast guest will be student trustee Nyia Curtis.

Salomon said he is most excited about “giving [students] a voice.”

“I really want them to be able to speak their minds,” Salomon said.

Salomon is an avid podcast fan, he said. For years he’s listened to podcasts like “Harmontown,” a general topics comedy podcast; “The Dollop,” a historical comedy podcast; and “The Daily,” a news podcast by The New York Times.

Sharon O’Malley, a journalism professor and Campus Current faculty adviser, will advise the podcast staff.

“[Salomon] is the perfect person to host,” O’Malley said. “He has a background in audio work and video production, so I really think there’s no better person to do it.”

Campus Current publishes monthly print issues and daily digital stories, but according to O’Malley, the student news organization “has never been involved in multimedia.”

Roxanne Ready, editor-in-chief of Campus Current, said she is excited about the podcast.

“The goal of Campus Current is really to build a sense of community at Anne Arundel,” Ready said. “The more ways we can reach out and try to engage the students, the better.”

Public Relations and Marketing Executive Director Dan Baum said he listens to podcasts “all the time.”

“I love podcasts, [and I] love the name [‘Riverhawk Report’],” he said. “I’ll be sure to listen.”

Johnathan O’Dea, president of the Student Government Association, called the podcast a “great idea,” and added he would like it to feature advertisements for upcoming events and club news.

“The podcast is going to be talking about some of the same stuff we’re writing about in the paper,” Ready said. “So people can listen to the podcast, and if they want more information they can read the paper later and vice versa.”

Salomon agreed, noting that students who read the newspaper “want a newspaper, not a podcast,” he said.

As a first-time podcast host, Salomon said, “I just hope people like me. I’m horrified people are going to think I suck.”