Student board of trustees member position open for application, among others

Student Government Association members announced vacancies at the Dec. 4 Student Advisory Council Meeting.

Photo by Roxanne Ready

Photo by Roxanne Ready

Roxanne Ready, Editor-in-Chief

Applications are open for the voting student member of AACC’s Board of Trustees for the upcoming school year.

Director of Student Engagement Chris Storck announced at the Dec. 4 Student Advisory Council meeting—a mandatory monthly meeting of student club representatives—that applications for the position are due by Jan. 12.

Nyia Curtis, the current student representative on the board, will graduate in May of 2018, leaving the position open. Curtis has held the position since fall 2017.

The Board of Trustees oversees spending, reviews academic programs and sets the policies that drive the overall direction of the college. The student member of the board has the same voting rights as any other member.

AACC is unusual in including a student as a voting member of the board, according to Storck.

Students should be able to apply for the position from a link on the homepage of The Nest when logged in, according to Storck, but Campus Current was unable to view the application page today. Update, 12/5: The application link is active as of Dec. 5.

At the start of the meeting, seven Student Government Association senator positions were also open. During the meeting, Advisory Council members voted in the new senators Morgan Mitchel and Jessica Green, leaving five positions still vacant.

Senators are in charge of communicating with the clubs in their districts to remind them of upcoming meetings and serve as their advocates if the clubs need assistance.

SGA President Johnathon O’Dea also announced that Drew Chrostowski stepped down from the position of non-traditional student liaison, citing “personal reasons.”

The non-traditional student liaison is in charge of communicating with and advocating for students who are over 25 years old, are veterans, attend any satellite campuses or take night classes.

Any student can become an SGA senator through nomination by any two representatives at a Student Advisory Council meeting and confirmation by a majority at that meeting.