Don’t leave out the other side

Photo by Dawn Pennington

“Free speech” means different things to different people, but monuments like this one in Philadelphia remind us that it is everyone’s right.

Rebecca Lewis, Guest Columnist

In many of my classes last year during the election, there were opportunities to discuss our opinions.

In fact, most of my classes are filled with debates.

But most were also led by professors completely against what I believe.

In one class, a professor asked me to voice my opinion on both candidates. After I did so, my professor replied, “Okay. But you’re wrong.”

Realizing that I was the only student in that entire classroom who felt the way I did, I resolved to shut my mouth and not speak about my political opinions again.

These days “free speech” has come with a free pass for criticism and an opportunity to tear down others.
We want others to listen to understand us, but we don’t want them to respond to us.

Many people say they encourage free speech, but what they truly mean is, “You may only speak freely about our side.”

And that is where I think our problem on campus lies.

That is why I do not feel comfortable stating my opinions on campus.

Why should I share my thoughts if no one will listen?

I think AACC is trying hard to promote free speech and encourage students to participate.

But I think some students have lost sight of what free speech is: It is the right to express any opinions.

Judgment should not be involved.

Until people’s understanding of free speech is established, we will never be able to get past the judgment, the bias and the downright stubbornness our campus holds.

Free speech is not just one like-minded group coming together, which is what I feel has been the result of “free speech” events and exercises on campus.

In those situations, one side will always be left out.

We should have understanding minds and accept that others will not always agree. And that is perfectly all right.

Rebecca Lewis is a 19-year-old interior design sophomore at AACC. She is registered to vote as an Independent.