Current Perspective: Education is not a race

David+Kirchner+will+graduate+after+four+years.+

Photo by Kim Oxford

David Kirchner will graduate after four years.

David Kirchner, Guest Columnist

I am going to graduate this month—after attending AACC for four years.

I’ve been here so long because I believe it’s important to take your time with college and figure out what you want to do and accomplish in life.

When I got out of high school, I knew I wanted to have a career that involved creating something, sharing it with the world and inspiring others.

I started here as a film major, but I decided it wasn’t for me.
During my third year, I decided to change my major again, this time to music. However, when I started taking the classes, I decided music wasn’t for me. I’m not the biggest fan of music theory or learning other people’s songs.

After music, I made the switch to transfer studies when I was told that I could graduate faster.

I plan to switch once again to a communications major after I graduate.

When it comes to education, AACC has had an impact on my study habits; how I take in information; how I work with others; and how to be on top of my deadlines.

Graduating from college feels the same as when I got my high school diploma. It’s just a piece of paper, but that single piece of paper gives me the feeling of excitement for the uncertainty of what comes next—what comes after that piece of paper.

The best advice I can give this new generation of students: When it comes to your education, take your time. College is not a race, and no one is going to shame you for not finishing up college in four years.

When it comes to picking a career, find something you love and figure out a way to make it your life’s work. If your career is something you love, you never have to work a day in your life.

Kirchner is a fourth-year transfer studies major. He plans to transfer to Towson University in Fall 2017.