‘Family’ arrives on AACC stage

Zach Tennant

The cast of “The Addams Family” rehearses the show’s dances throughout the month leading up to its March 31 opening in Kauffman Theater.

Jymyaka Braden, Entertainment Editor

A new musical is coming to AACC at the end of March, blending music, comedy and a classic tale.

“The Addams Family” theater production is a song-and-dance version of the adventures of a family that was introduced in the 1930s, beginning as a series of cartoons drawn by Charles Addams of The New Yorker. After the popularity of the cartoons, “The Addams Family” turned into a sitcom, a cartoon, a major motion picture and a Broadway musical.

Mark Kamie, who is a freelance director, discussed the legacy of “The Addams Family” and the behind-the-scenes production with Campus Current.

“I researched the history of ‘The Addams Family,’ starting with their inception: the cartoons created by Charles Addams,” Kamie said.“Then, I moved on to watching the television show and movies.”

Kamie said he was inspired by the cartoons when tasked with directing the musical. Additionally, he said he researched Andrew Lippa, the writer of the music and lyrics for the musical.

Costume designer Victoria Scherini, a first-year transfer studies major, said she loves the “playfully spooky aesthetic” of the Addams’ household and its decor.

“With such an iconic group of characters, you want to make sure you get the look just right,” Scherini said. “I’ve always been focused on ensuring that the actors are comfortable and able to move freely, but with a musical, the actors have to dance, and [they] need a lot more freedom of movement in their costumes.”

Scherini said the team’s goal was to capture the beauty of “The Addams Family” and bring out the personalities of the characters.

Scherini added the show’s production is almost entirely student-run from the lights, sound, props, makeup, costumes and stage managing.

The story of “The Addams Family” has intrigued audiences for decades. The plot involves Wednesday Addams, the 18-year-old daughter, as she tries to date a new boy. The family, however, disagrees; in its ritual of raising ancestors from the grave, the family decides to prevent Wednesday from continuing the relationship.

“I think audiences of all ages will be able to connect with the show and the characters,” Scherini said. “You don’t have to be a musical person, or a theater person, or an “Addams Family” person to enjoy this show. You just kind of have to see it, and the show will do the rest.”

“The Addams Family” will premiere March 31.