Student Engagement hosts free breakfast

Brad Dress, Associate Editor

AACC administrators and staff served breakfast on Jan. 23 to students returning to campus for the spring semester.

The Welcome Back Week breakfast, an event of the Office of Student Engagement and the Campus Activities Board, was one of five events on campus during the first full week of the 2017 spring semester. Those organizations deal with student programs and events

Among the volunteer servers were Police Capt. David Pressley from the Public Safety Department and Jacqueline Jackson, the dean of student services.

“It kind of made my whole morning,” Elizabeth Steele, a second-year transfer student, said. “I was having a rainy day, and [the breakfast] is really warm, and they have the best potatoes ever.”

Danielle Brookhart, the coordinator of new student engagement, said she bought $600 worth of eggs, potatoes, French toast, fruit and sausages for 100 students from the Hawk’s Nest Grill & Deli.

“Just really to get [students] engaged,” Brookhart said about why she planned the breakfast. “The more committed and engaged they are with their campus, the more successful they are going to be.”

According to Brookhart, the food ran out at around 10 a.m., an hour before the breakfast’s expected closing time.

Welcome Back Week also included activities for students to create T-shirt art and wire art, and a dance party.