Students use creative excuses to ditch class

Lauren Hartman, Reporter

AACC students said they can usually get out of class or turn in an assignment late if they give their professors the go-to “I’m sick” excuse.

In an informal poll of 10 students, half said they have used a fake health issue to miss a class, while the other half gave excuses ranging from car trouble to technology malfunctions.

“I had a minor cold but told the teacher that I was sick with pneumonia,” Aziah Deal, a freshman, said. “I even poured water on my face and went in shaking when I talked to her to make it more believable.”

According to a Harvard University survey of more than 3,000 students, 28 percent of students gave professors a false excuse when, in fact, 30 percent simply didn’t feel like coming in and 19 percent just wanted more sleep.

“I tell my pig-headed male professors that it is my time of the month and they ask no further questions,” Titilayo Cgunduyilemi, a visual arts major, said.

Traffic, car accidents and cars breaking down are a few other excuses used repeatedly.

“[One] morning when I overslept, I told my teacher I got into a car accident on Route 50 and my car nearly flipped over,” Tyler Creswell, a freshman business major, said.

Some students claim to stun their professors with their excuses. One student couldn’t stop laughing as he recalled his “most ingenious excuse.”

“One time I really did not feel like staying in class so I rubbed a greasy breakfast sandwich on the back of my pants and told the teacher I had explosive diarrhea,” Tony Lombardi, a sophomore transfer studies major, said. “Needless to say, I was excused.”