Students recommend taking winter classes

Khadean Coombs and Tony Petro, Co-Editors

Approximatley 1,200 students enrolled in winter courses at AACC in 2017.

In an informal poll of 20 students on campus during the first two weeks of January, 15 said they took a winter class because they can earn credits quickly. Two-week Winter Session classes earn students three credits.

“I want to finish my credits as fast as I can so I can graduate sooner,” Yuelun Lin, a sophomore chemical engineering major, said. “Winter classes are really short and [they] get you ready for the spring and get you more credits.”

Ten students in the poll said the two-week semester is a lot of work.

“Winter courses are a lot of work, but the professors are good and they don’t overload you,” Valentina Ojeda, a sophomore, said. “I chose a class that I liked and that was easy for me.”

“You have to stay on top of your work and don’t screw around,” Liam Callaghan, a sophomore business administration major, said. “You really have to buckle down, but it’s definitely worth the quick credits.”

Winter classes allow students to take fewer courses in the spring and fall semesters.

“I have to take five classes in the spring to graduate, but I don’t have time for that, so I took a winter course to split it up,” Megan Ladabouche, a sophomore transfer studies major, said. “I work part-time and took off these two weeks for this class. I do my homework in the evenings and basically have no social life, but I would recommend taking a winter course.”

Freshman T.J. Demerto agreed.

“I have work outside of school and I have to ask my boss for time off to get my school work done, but if you have the time and determination to [take a winter course], then do it,” Demerto, criminal justice major, said.

All students in the poll said they recommend taking a winter course.

“I would highly recommend taking one,” Spencer Schwink, a sophomore, said. “It is a lot of work, but it’s not too much to handle, so show up to class, pay attention and do all of your homework.”

“I recommend taking a winter class because it’s not spread out so you can really focus on the material,” said Louis Brown, a sophomore transfer studies major who took a communications class. “I make sure I always look at my calendar and budget my time outside of class.”