Campus worries about President-elect Trump

Photo from Wikimedia Commons

Some students are afraid since Donald Trump won the 2016 presidential election.

Tony Petro, Club News Editor

Since President-elect Donald Trump’s victory on Nov. 8, campus police have found two swastikas on campus—one in a men’s bathroom stall and the other carved onto a picnic table in the Quad.

Some students experienced what AACC President Dawn Lindsay described in an email as “name calling and bigotry on our campus.”

Faculty members have reported that many students have come to class upset about the election results.
A group of students has formed a post-election support group that has been meeting nearly every day.

“I am scared and disgusted,” Ian Deppa, a junior transfer studies major, said. “This is bad. I am scared specifically for minorities.”

Freshman Ethan Havener-Mudge said he is scared, too.

“As someone who considers themselves a part of the LGBTQ community, I am scared and I fear for my friends and others in our situation,” Havener-Mudge said. “I am scared for anyone who isn’t white, straight or upper middle class.”

Although AACC students have not protested Trump’s election on campus, some have said the the election has left them upset.

Around the country, students from UCLA to Yale to University of Maryland Baltimore County to Montgomery County high schools have staged protests since Trump defeated opponent Hillary Clinton.

In an email to faculty, Lindsay noted, “It is natural for some to be excited and confident … while others feel defeated and dejected.

“Inevitably, elections result in winners and losers. … This year’s election was particularly contentious.”
She said the email was “to remind everyone that we are an inclusive community that values open-mindedness, respect for one another and equity. With that in mind, I ask that we continue to be compassionate and patient with our students and with one another.”

Students seeking a safe place to speak their minds or talk out their feelings may visit the campus office of Counseling, Advising and Retention Services. They also may join the support group in Humanities Room 117 at 12:30 on weekdays.

Some students simply “need to vent their frustrations,” Beth Mays, coordinator of health services, said. Those who “are deeply affected by [the election] results” might benefit from talking to counseling professionals, she said.

AACC sophomore Zachary Rosenthal organized a group to encourage students to talk about how to deal with the election results. Rosenthal describes this new organization as a safe space for all students, no matter which candidate they supported.

“Now is the time to act,” Rosenthal said. “My main fear is that people genuinely want to help, but don’t know how. I know everyone here at AACC wants to strive to reach goals, and I want to tap into that and get people to strive for change.”

Rosenthal said the organization aims to make sure everyone feels included and that they can make a difference.

“Just because you are part of the majority doesn’t mean you can’t stand up to defend and fight for the minorities,” Rosenthal said.

Rosenthal suggested a revision to a Trump slogan: “America doesn’t need to be made great again because we already are great. We just need to know how to use that greatness.”

Dr. Suzanne Spoor, professor of English and gender studies, attends the group meetings.

“Because this election has been so divisive, not just for Hillary supporters, this group was made to provide people with a safe space to react,” Spoor said. “We have a desire to stand for non-violence and find common ground among members of both parties.”

Spoor said the group members’ main fear is violence in the community.

“We want to work toward a world where all people have access to the same resources,” Spoor said.
President Barack Obama had some encouraging words for young voters following the election.

“To the young people who got into politics for the first time and may be disappointed by the results, I just want you to know, you have to stay encouraged,” Obama said. “Don’t get cynical; don’t ever think you can’t make a difference.”