Campus Activity Board hosts grocery bingo

Tony Petro, Club News Editor

Nine students walked away with free food Monday after winning the Campus Activity Board’s Grocery Bingo event.

CAB hosts grocery bingo once a month in the dining hall in the Student Union building.

“It’s just to relieve some stress and give students the opportunity for free food,” CAB President Diana Rapine said.

Grocery bingo works like regular bingo, students in attendance who wanted to play, received a bingo board with 25 spots, and chips to cover the spots.

Two CAB members stood behind a table with the prizes on it and called out letter/number combinations corresponding with spots on the player’s bingo boards.

The prizes were nine cases of food. The food included Cup Noodles, two cases of Pop-Tarts, a box of Chewy Bars, a box of Rice Krispie Treats, a case of Chef Boyardee soups, a case of Kraft Easy-Mac mac-n-cheese, a box of assorted mini cereal boxes, and a barrel of cheese balls.

Rapine and Murphy, CAB members and bingo hosts, started the game with traditional bingo, where the players had to get five in a row to win. The two winners in the first round selected the Cheese Balls and one of the boxes of Pop-Tarts.

Next, they switched to “four corners” bingo, where the winner has to have all four corners of their board covered in correspondence with the selected number/letter choosen. The two winners of the second round selected the Cup Noodles and the Rice Krispies.

Round three returned to regular bingo. The winner selected the second box of Pop-Tarts.

In round four, the contestants had to have the spaces in the middle column and row of their board covered, creating a plus sign. The winner selected the box of Chewy Bars.

Rapine and Murphy called the fifth round “Blackout.” The players had to fill their entire board. The two winners selected the box of macaroni & cheese and the Chef Boyardee soups.

The final round returned to regular bingo. The winner chose the remaining prize: the box of assorted cereals.

“I thought this was pretty cool,” Mike Addison, a sophomore majoring in criminal justice said. “I was getting ready to leave when they announced the game was starting, so I figured I’d stay and play and get some free food.”

Addison said if he is around and hears about it, he will play again in December.

“Next semester, instead of grocery bingo, CAB will host coffee house like events each month,” Rapine said. “They will be called Tea Bars. There will be music too and it will be a kind of Q and A thing.”