AACC SGA puts mental health of students first

Anthony Petro, Club News Editor

A student who attended the Student Government Association meeting Monday proposed an idea for a peaceful gathering for all students to lift everyone’s spirits after the election results.

Edgar Solomon attended the AACC SGA meeting Monday as a guest, brought forth an idea to decorate the Martin Luther King Jr memorial with messages of peace. Solomon said it is very important for everyone to stand united, especially after an election like last week’s presidential race. 

“In response to Trump’s election, I think we need to have a peaceful, festival like event where students can show up and decorate a mural or something with messages of hope and peace,” Solomon said. “I don’t want this to be a rally, and no hate should come from this. It should be a safe space for everyone, Trump and Hillary supporters to gather and express good feelings.”

Solomon brought this to the SGA board with the idea that having the SGA backing him, this event could really be something special, he said.

Chris Storck, the director of Student Engagement attended the weekly SGA meeting, as usual, and had positive thoughts about Solomon’s idea.

“As SGA and leaders on campus, we want students to view AACC as a safe space,” Storck said. “This event shouldn’t force students to take sides.”

Solomon’s idea however, was not the only order of business the SGA attended to Monday afternoon.

The International Student Association and Gay Straight Alliance asked for budget approvals.

ISA asked for the SGA to help with their $200 budget for their trip to Washington DC Friday. ISA member Matt Mosberg presented the budget plan.

“A lot of our members are foreign and don’t know a lot about our culture,” Mosberg said. “We want to go to the US History museums in DC to teach them about the US outside of the school atmosphere. We are asking for the $200 to cover lunch. The rest of the trip we already raised money for.”

SGA unanimously approved ISA’s budget proposal.

The GSA president Jonathan Odia presented a budget proposal for funds they were unaware of regarding last month’s drag show event. They also asked for help with next semester’s drag event. GSA asked for a total of $290.48, and SGA unanimously approved.

Also, Letha Valiaveedu, a counselor with AACC’s Counseling, Advising and Retention Services came to the SGA meeting to train members in QPR for suicide prevention. QPR stands for Question Persuade Refer.

“Anne Arundel County has been leading the suicide statistics in the US,” Valiaveedu said. “Suicide is the number two cause of death in the United States. The population of Annapolis gets wiped out each year in this country… that’s how many people commit suicide.”

Valiaveedu went through the QPR presentation for the meeting attendees. The presentation described things to look for, and ways to help prevent suicides. For more information on QPR, stop by the CARS offices next to Advising in the Student Union building.

SGA meets again Monday Nov. 21.