Students favor Clinton

Photo from Wikimedia Commons

Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton reigns on campus over opponent Donald Trump.

James Whitely, Reporter

AACC students said they will vote for Democrat Hillary Clinton as the next president of the United States.

In an informal poll of 20 students in October, nine told Campus Current they will vote for Clinton; three said they support Republican Donald Trump; and eight said they are undecided.

Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 8.

AACC sophomore and Clinton supporter Robert Westbrook said he doesn’t trust Trump because he “resembles a dictator.”

But Trump supporters on campus said they will vote for him because of his economic proposals and emphasis on national security.

Piper Lewis, a junior political science major, said Trump puts national security at the top of the list of issues that he will take care of as president.

The eight undecided student voters said the candidates have not properly addressed the issues.
“None of the candidates share my views,” Nazem Mahmood, a political science major, said.

Josh Henry, president of the Student Political Association, stressed the importance of registering to vote—and voting.

“It is critical to get people to consider and look into all candidates,” said Henry. “Not only focus on the president, but to be informed and vote for other public offices.”

Like AACC students, Anne Arundel County voters plan to vote for Clinton, according to a survey by the AACC Center for the Study of Local Issues.

In a survey of 533 county residents, 40 percent said they plan to vote for Clinton, while 34 percent chose Trump. The remaining 26 percent of voters will vote for other candidates, or they are undecided or do not plan to vote.

The last Democratic nominee Anne Arundel County voted for was Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964.