Soccer shoots for more wins

Photo by Zach Tennant

AACC Women’s Soccer forward and co-captain Bailey Foust reaches out to take the ball from her opponent.

Megan Ladabouche, Sports Editor

The National Junior College Athletic Association in August named AACC Women’s Soccer forward Bailey Foust Division III Player of the Week.

From Aug. 22 to Aug. 28 Foust scored four goals and had 11 shots on goal. She ended her 2015 season with 10 goals, showcasing her offensive skills.

As a long-time offensive-player, Foust has experience as a forward and frequently capitalizes on her opponents’ mistakes. Foust played soccer for 10 years. She also played lacrosse and basketball at Glen Burnie High School.

“Lacrosse and basket- ball really help to improve my skills in soccer,” Foust said. “Zoning really helps with basically all sports.”

Foust leads the team alongside co-captains Careen Rivera and Savannah Vickery.

“Bailey is very positive,” Rivera said, “and brings a very fun environment to the team.”

“We’re definitely going to get a lot of goals,” Foust said. “Hopefully a lot more Ws too. I think we’ll go at least 50/50.”

Foust said she hopes to receive a degree in elementary education at the University of Maryland Baltimore County. Meanwhile, Foust’s team must capitalize on this year’s new talent to regain footing after last season’s tough defeat.

The Riverhawks’ offensive line appears strong with returning sophomores Foust, Vickery and Samantha Nimmo, who each ended their 2015 season with the most goals of anyone on the team.

Nimmo completed last year’s season with second team all-conference and 13 goals. Vickery ended with 13 goals.

As captains the trio is determined to leverage the “new, fresh start to the team” that the freshmen bring, Rivera said.

“The girls all want to work hard,” Nimmo said. “Our team has the potential to make it to nationals.”

The Riverhawks ended their season last year with four wins and nine losses.