SGA Candidate Forum Previews Next Week’s Election

Close view of a collection of VOTE badges. 3D render with HDRI lighting and raytraced textures.

Mark Evans

Starting next week, students at Anne Arundel Community College will have the opportunity to vote for the person who will serve as president of the Student Government Association.

Christine Storck, director of student engagement at AACC, said this year is the first time in about five years that more than one person has expressed interest in becoming the president. The three students vying for the office—Nick Nadeau, Emily Dreszer and Francheska Salazar—will be participating in a pre-election forum Wednesday at 2 p.m. in room 102 of the Student Union.

AACC students will be able to hear each student’s platform and ask questions at the forum.

Voting will be conducted online. Students will need to log into their AACC account and then go to this link: https://aacc.collegiatelink.net/organization/studentengagement/news.  Students will be able to vote starting 8:30 a.m. Monday, April 25, through 8:30 a.m. Friday, April 29, according to Storck.

“I think it’s really exciting to have a contested election,” Storck said. “The students have a choice about who they are going to elect to be their leader, and we have more students who want to be the leader. It’s a win-win for everybody.”

Storck said there has been an overall increase in student interest in student government. This year, all 15 of the student senate positions were filled, something she said has not happened in quite some time.

Meet the Candidates

emilydreznerEmily Dreszer, second year political science major and current Student Government Association Senator: “I hope that by making the campuses more unified, pushing for more affordable tuition, and making the college more welcoming to veterans, I can assist others in doing the same.”

francheskasalazarFrancheska Salazar, a third semester Paralegal Studies/Law and Jurisprudence Transfer Studies double-major and current AACC Student Veterans Association President: “I am running on a platform to increase the cohesion of the campus organizations and give voice to the students, while maintaining the individuality of each organization.”

nicknadeauNick Nadeau, a third-year AACC student and current Student Government Association secretary: “I want to continue the work of our previous president, Annalisa Hite, in working on involving the Arundel Mills and Glen Burnie campuses in activities and events…increase student involvement on campus … (and) make Anne Arundel Community College a place where students feel welcome and can accomplish their goals.”