Transfer Advising Day Is Coming!

Zoe LaFemina, Reporter

So you know you want to transfer schools, but you’re a little stuck on the details. Do not fret!

Transfer Advising Day is scheduled for Monday, Feb. 16 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the SUN building. Transfer Advising Day is an opportunity for students to meet with representatives from public and private four-year universities in Maryland, Virginia, DC and Pennsylvania.

“Transfer workshops are designed to introduce students to the transfer planning process,” says Patrice Lyons, assistant director of the Counseling, Advising, and Retention Services at AACC.
AACC’s transfer services website (www.aacc.edu/transfer/) includes a detailed guide for creating a successful transfer, as well as university transfer destinations of AACC graduates.

“Transfer from community college to a four-year institution is an efficient pathway both for students and taxpayers,” says Daniel de Vise, author of the College Inc. blog, in an article for the Washington Post. “Students can complete the first two years of college for a fraction of the cost of a four-year institution, then finish with a degree from a prestigious four-year institution.”

At AACC, Transfer Services offers different workshops to help students with the transfer process. These workshops include: How to Choose a Transfer College, How to Transfer to University System of Maryland Schools, and Transfer Day, as well as informational fairs both on and off campus. PDFs of each workshop are available online. There’s also a library of catalogs from local and regional four-year colleges at Career and Transfer Resource Center in SSVC room 200.

“I transferred from AACC to the University of Maryland College Park,” said Michelle Sloan, broadcast journalism major at UMDCP. “I would say the hardest part about transferring was figuring out how to make sure my credits transferred.”

AACC’s website for Transfer Services can answer any questions you have about the transfer process. Their FAQ section is three pages long, with detailed answers for each question. The website also offers a transfer checklist, to make sure you don’t lose any credits when you transfer.

Whether you’re a first year student and transferring isn’t quite on your mind yet, or a seasoned River Hawk who is already deep within the transfer process, Transfer Advising Day is a very valuable resource.

Transfer Advising Day is scheduled for Feb. 16 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the SUN building.