Science Rules!

Zoe LaFemina, Reporter

Move over, Bill Nye, there are two new science guys in town.

Assistant professor of Physical Science Jason Barbour, along with Anatomy and Physiology professor Greg Schrader, will be hosting the big show at Science Night in the Kauffman Theater on
November 11.

Courtesy of Zoe LaFemina
Courtesy of Zoe LaFemina

“It’s one of the many ways students can get involved with service learning,” said Barbour.  “That’s a really great program.”  Science Night is a bi-annual event organized by Jason Barbour and the science department at  Anne Arundel Community College. Around 100 students from a wide variety of science classes volunteer  at Science Night every year.

Jason Barbour started Science Night five years ago as a way for students at AACC to do something meaningful while getting involved with community service at the same time.

“It’s a great experience for the students that participate,” said Barbour. “They have a lot of fun and they realize that they’re doing something that’s helpful.”

So what happens at Science Night?

To give you an idea, the Science Night page at http://www.aacc.edu/science/sciencenight.cfm listed a few past events at the big show, including: The making of flubber and elephant toothpaste, lying  on a bed of nails, red cabbage pH indicators, and the “table cloth” trick.

“We try to think big when it comes to the stage show,” said Barbour. “We try to find things that  are exciting, things that you can see from far away.” Last year, between the spring and the fall, Science Night had about 1,000 people come out to the shows.

Science Night will be held on Tuesday, November 11. Demonstrations and Hands-On Activities will be from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in the Dining Hall on the Arnold campus.

The Big Show with Jason Barbour and Greg Schrader will be from 5:30-6:30 p.m. and from 7-8  p.m. in the Robert E. Kauffman Theater at the Pascal Center on the Arnold campus.