Club raises money for former member’s child

A basketball team called “13” is the winner of the Experience Apostolic Campus Ministries 3 vs. 3 tourney.

James Haggerty, Reporter

The Experience Apostolic Campus Ministries club held a memorial basketball tournament at AACC in March in honor of one of its former members who passed away.

Former club member Paul Trader died from heart failure in 2007 at age 23. He was a former Student Government Association president for two years and graduated with an associate’s degree in 2005.

The money raised from the tournament, which was in the AACC gymnasium, went to Trader’s wife, daughter and family.

The club charged each team of three to five members $25 to enter. Four teams played.

Each of the teams played all of the other teams. The teams played to 21 points.

The club awarded prizes such as gold medals and a gift bag containing a $10 Amazon card, a club T-shirt, free bowling vouchers, a water bottle and a Bible to members of the first-place team.

The winning team consisted of four students who named themselves “13.” The Ankle Snatchers, a team consisting of players from the AACC basketball team, took second place.

“We’re coming back next year for another championship,” said Maleek Davis, a member of 13 who hit the winning shot in the final game.

The club asked two volunteers from local churches to referee the games.

The club meets every Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the cafeteria for weekly religious services involving reading and discussing scriptures.

“One of the main goals for Experience is to bring all types of people together,” club President Dillon Nielson said. “And be a light to the community.”

“It’s an experience, not a religion” is the club’s slogan.

The club plans to continue the tournament next year.