Swoop turns 1 at student fair

James Whitley, Reporter

AACC’s mascot, Swoop, celebrated his first birthday Sept. 14 during the Student Involvement Fair in the quad.

In a contest last year, students suggested names for the mascot, a riverhawk, before a campuswide vote determined the winner.

“There was a committee … that involved athletics, myself, public relations and marketing,” Director of Student Engagement Christine Storck said. “We promoted the idea of a new mascot and it was well received.”

“The effort was student-led, student-driven, and student-determined. It’s just a good way to get a mascot,” said AACC President Dawn Lindsay, who attended Swoop’s birthday party, along with dozens of students at the fair. “I’m excited, very excited,” Lindsay said. “Swoop is probably one of the most exciting things we’ve done at the campus as far as student engagement and having fun. [We’re] really enjoying our time with Swoop.”

During the fair, 35 student organizations and clubs gave passing-by students their best pitches on why to join them. Steven Kreider, program coordinator in the Office of Student Engagement, called the event a “success.”

“I think the Involvement fair is successful when it seems like a lot of interaction between the students and the organizations at the tables,” Kreider said. “I saw students stopping by multiple tables, having good conversations and not just simply walking by, getting something handed to them, signing up and walking away.”